Before leaving home
Fit chains at bays where you see the ‘Fit Chains Here’ sign. Always fit chains to driving wheels only. When required, chains should be fitted to the front wheels of four wheel drive vehicles.
At all resorts you can be fined for not carrying and fitting chains as directed.
Chain fitting bays are level and make fitting easier. If you don’t use the chain fitting bay you may find yourself in a lot of trouble. Chains are hard to fit on slopes, and you will obstruct other vehicles and snow clearing equipment.
If it has not been necessary to fit chains when travelling to the resort, it is advisable to fit them upon arrival in preparation for the return trip. It is quite difficult to fit them to cars covered by snow.
Chain fitting: The basics
- Fit chains to driving wheels only.
- Always test-fit chains before a trip.
- Fit at fitting bays on level ground.
- If chains fall off or loosen when a vehicle is in motion, stop and check brake lines for damage before re-tensioning.
- Keep speed below 40km per hour.
- Carry a torch, plastic garbage bag and gloves to make fitting easier.
- Use correct fitting chains.
- Tyres must be in good condition with minimal wear.
- The use of diamond pattern chains is recommended.
- After removing chains your cars handling may feel different. Take time to readjust your driving and take care!
Do not drive faster than 40km per hour once chains have been fitted.