Reduce the risk of windscreen damage by following these simple tips:
- If parking in the snowfields for an extended period, lift wipers from windscreen or place in a plastic bag to ensure that wipers do not stick to the windscreen.
- Before attempting to drive away from snowfields, clear all glass and mirrors of ice. Carry an ice-scraper to clear the bulk of the snow. Never use hot water.
- For fast demisting of the front windscreen, use the car’s heater and fan in conjunction with the vehicle’s air-conditioner.
If your windscreen is damaged
Whether as a result of bad luck or poor choices, sometimes windscreens do sustain damage. There are steps you can take to minimise the damage:
- To decrease the chance of spreading windscreen damage, avoid the use of the car heater or air-conditioner, avoid rough or bumpy roads and avoid extremes of hot or cold conditions.
- To prevent contamination in a damaged area, do not wash the windscreen before repair.
To prevent cracking a windscreen in cold weather, do not pour hot water over the windscreen.